Tacoma Community House’s English classes help adults improve their English listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills. We have classes all year-round, Monday through Thursday, at various times in order to accommodate students’ schedules. Classes go from Level 1 (basic) to Level 6 (advanced).
Why take English classes?
Life in the United States is challenging for people who do not speak English. By learning the language in a supportive, welcoming environment, students gain the confidence to use English in everyday situations. That might be answering the phone, filling out forms at the doctor’s office, or helping a child with homework! People who speak English also have a much easier time finding jobs and enrolling in school/training programs.
Cost, Eligibility & Schedule
- $25 per quarter (ask about our scholarships and fee waivers!)
- Open to adults 18 and older
- 2019 Class Quarters
- Winter: January 7 – March 21
- Spring: April 8 – June 20
- Summer: July 8 – September 12
- Fall: September 30 – December 12
- Classes run Monday through Thursday at various times
- Morning (9am-12pm)
- Afternoon (1-3pm)
- Evening (6-8pm)
How to Enroll
If you are interested in taking English classes, you must attend an information session at Tacoma Community House (1314 S. L Street, Tacoma, WA 98405). Information sessions allow new students to learn about the program, complete intake paperwork, and schedule a testing appointment. We use these test results to determine what level of classes will be right for you.
- Visit our calendar to see information session dates and times
- Bring what you have:
- Picture ID
- Social Security Card
- Pay Stub or DSHS Award Letter
- Green Card
Charlene McKenzie, Education Services Assistant