Adults who are interested in preparing for the GED® tests or improving their basic skills can do so by enrolling in Tacoma Community House’s Adult Basic Education (ABE) Classes. We are here to help students increase their skills in reading, writing, math, and computer usage. For some, earning their GED® is a goal, while others want to increase their skills before entering a local community college. Many students who enroll in the program often go on to further their education or improve their employment standing.
The ABE program helps students with:
- Basic reading, writing, math, and computer skills
- General Educational Development (GED®) test prep
- Skills to prepare for college, technical school, etc.
- Work and life skills
Cost, Eligibility & Class Schedule
- $25 per quarter
- Open to adults 18 and older
- Classes run Monday through Thursday in the mornings (9am-12pm)
- 2019 Class Quarters
- Winter: January 7 – March 21
- Spring: April 8 – June 20
- Summer: July 8 – September 12
- Fall: September 30 – December 12
How to Enroll
Those who are interested in enrolling into ABE classes MUST attend an orientation at Tacoma Community House (1314 S. L Street, Tacoma, WA 98405). Orientations provide prospective students an opportunity to meet our Education staff, learn more about the program, complete intake paperwork, and schedule a preliminary testing appointment.
- Visit our calendar to see orientation dates and times
- Bring to orientation (what you have):
- Picture ID
- Social Security Card
- Pay Stub or DSHS Award Letter
- Green Card
Charlene McKenzie, Education Services Assistant