The federal government is proposing regulations that would broaden the “Public Charge” test for immigrants seeking legal status. If implemented, these rules would prevent some immigrants from attaining a green card or entering the U.S. as permanent residents, and scare others out of using benefits to which they are legally entitled.
Please join Tacoma Community House and Northwest Immigrant Rights Project for a community forum on Monday, December 10, 2018 (3:30pm) to learn about the proposed rules so you can inform the communities you serve.
How “Public Charge” Proposal Would Affect Immigrant Families
Monday, December 10, 2018 – 3:30pm
1314 S. L Street, Tacoma, WA 98405
In the meantime, here are two important actions you can take to stand with immigrant families:
- Submit a public comment condemning the proposed regulations by Monday, December 10th!
- Inform yourself on the proposed Public Charge regulations by exploring some of the links below:
- FAQs via Protecting Immigrant Families
- FAQs via DSHS Office of Refugee and Immigrant Assistance
- Top 5 Things to Know About Public Charge via National Immigration Law Center
- Who Does “Public Charge” Apply To? A Resource for Advocates & Service Providers via Protecting Immigrant Families – includes scenarios for understanding different situations
- General Fact Sheet via Protecting Immigrant Families
- WA State Fact Sheet via Protecting Immigrant Families