Citizenship Day 2020

Do you need help applying for citizenship?

In partnership with Washington New Americans, TCH is hosting Citizenship day, where volunteer immigration attorneys and interpreters offer FREE assistance with citizenship applications.

WASHINGTON NEW AMERICANS, a program of OneAmerica, promotes successful immigrant integration by connecting Legal Permanent Residents (LPRs) to the information and services they need to successfully pursue citizenship and become active members of our community.

ONEAMERICA is committed to the vision of a unified nation with justice for all and works to advance the fundamental principles of democracy, justice, and human rights at the local, state and national levels.

The AMERICAN IMMIGRATION LAWYERS ASSOCIATION is the national association of immigration lawyers established to promote justice, advocate for fair and reasonable immigration law and policy, and advance the quality of immigration and nationality law and practice.

Tacoma Community House
1314 S. L Street
Tacoma, WA 98402

Saturday, April 11th, 2020
10 am to 1 pm
Registration encouraged, walk-ins welcome, space permitting

To register, visit or call (206) 926-3924

What to expect on Citizenship Day

To Be Eligible To Apply, You Need To:

• Be at least 18 years old by the date you file
• Have been a lawful permanent resident for at least the last five years (or three years, if married to a U.S. citizen).
• Have been present in the U.S. for 2.5 of the past five years (or 1.5 of the past three, if married to a U.S. citizen), and have not been outside the U.S. for one year or more within the last five years (or three years, if married to a U.S. citizen)

What to bring on Citizenship Day:

• Your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)
• List of home addresses for the past five years and the dates during which you lived at these addresses
• List of employer names and addresses for the past five years, including the dates you worked with these employers
• Dates you have been outside of the U.S. since becoming a permanent resident and the countries you traveled to during these trips. Bring your passport, itineraries, and, if available, tickets to track all trips made outside the USA
• Your children’s complete names, dates of birth, and their A#s (alien registration numbers) if they have one
• Your most recent tax return and W-2 forms
• All documents you have about your immigration record
• $725 filing fee (exceptions possible). Check, cashier’s check, or money order made out to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security” (optional)

Interpreters available but waiting times may be shorter if you bring your own interpreter.

Other Documents:

  • If you receive public benefits (i.e. SNAP food stamps), SSI, TANF, Medicaid) bring your most current award letter (card is not sufficient).
  • If you think you have been arrested, detained, or if you have had to appear before a court for any reason whether in the last five years or earlier, bring ALL certified court and police documents (examples: police report, court appearance, and disposition)
  • If the name on your green card is different than your current legal name:
    • Bring the documents that legally changed your name (marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court document).
  • If you are applying for US citizenship based upon a marriage to a US citizen, bring:
    • Information about your spouse and his or her previous marriages and divorces
  • Documents showing that you and your spouse are living together (examples: tax returns, bank statements, leases, mortgages, birth certificates of your children).
  • If you have been married more than one time:
    • Bring marriage certificate and divorce (or death) decree, or specific dates of all marriages and divorces.
    • Bring proof of your payment of any court-ordered support.
  • If you have been outside the US for more than 6 months in any year since becoming a Permanent Resident:
    • Bring details about the dates you left and came back to the US, and proof that you maintained a job or home in the U.S.
  • If you have a spouse or children who do not live with you bring:
    • Any court order requiring you to pay financial support;
    • Evidence of your financial support (examples: canceled checks, money order receipts, evidence of wage garnishments, or letter from the parent or guardian who cares for your children).
  • If your federal, state, or local taxes are overdue (or you have failed to pay them):
    • Bring copies of any documents, letters, or papers you sent to or received from the government about the problem.
  • If you registered for the U.S. Selective Service:
    • Bring the date you registered and your selective service number, if known.

Other locations hosting Citizenship Day:

Vancouver, WAYakima, WA
Clark College, Scarpelli HallYakima Valley College, Deccio Building
1933 Fort Vancouver WayBuilding located on S. 12th Ave
Vancouver, WA 98663Between W Baker St. & W Stewart St.
Yakima, WA 98902

Visit to download flyers in multiple languages.

Brought to you by