The 2020 Census is a once in a decade opportunity to influence decisions that directly affect your daily life. Census numbers are used to understand the local population and determine funding for everyday resources like preschool programs, health care, transportation and affordable housing.
Everyone living in Pierce County deserves to be heard. When individuals and communities aren’t counted in the census, we miss out on critical funding, political representation and a wealth of perspectives that make Pierce County a great place to live.
Think about the issues that are most important to you: high-quality education for your kids, transportation to get you where you need to go and health care to keep you and your family well. These are some of the many resources that are funded based on census numbers. By taking the census, you’re making your voice heard on these issues and others that are important to our community.
By taking the census, you’re making sure your needs are counted when these issues like transportation, education, and health care are addressed in our county. Everyone, regardless of immigration status in every community, benefits when we have a fair and accurate count.
2020 is the first year that the census will be offered online. Your online responses will be kept safe and private, and the online option makes it easier than ever to participate. Responses will also be collected by mail, over the phone and in-person.
Your responses will be kept confidential. Your name will not be shared with anyone, and your answers will not be used to identify you or your family. It is against the law to share your census information with anyone outside the census department.
Visit the following websites for more information:
Official Census Website: www.census.gov
Official Pierce Co. Census Website: www.co.pierce.wa.us/5853/2020-Census
Refugee Women’s Alliance Videos:
- Tigrinya: https://youtu.be/4smjYIfi-g8
- Nepali: https://youtu.be/3vmjCNuUI8E
- Arabic: https://youtu.be/IoH-P5-lnpU
- Somali: https://youtu.be/QLh-QcYVCRE
- Burmese: https://youtu.be/dL8cRuvP-8Q
- Farsi/Dari: https://youtu.be/uPBKknB9ZjQ
- Amharic: https://youtu.be/KhW9oT2da-k
Top 10 Census Resources
For additional resources, visit census.gov or censuscounts.org.
- QuickFacts on the Pierce County population
- Pierce County reference maps
- Census Business Builder: Pierce County data
- Census 101
- The impact of taking the census
- The citizenship question: myth vs. fact
- The Supreme Court and the Eleventh Hour Citizenship Question: What to Look Out For
- Census 101 and the Young Child Undercount
- Technology FAQ
- How the 2020 Census Will Invite Everyone to Respond