- Position Title: Instructor
- Employment Type: Part-Time Contract Position
- Reports To: Education Services Manager
- Salary Range: $25-35 per hour
- Organization: Tacoma Community House
- Location: Tacoma, Washington
- Schedule: 8-28 hours per week; Monday-Thursday; morning, afternoon, and evening hours
Tacoma Community House’s (TCH) Education program works with immigrants, refugees, limited English speakers and community members looking to improve their basic skills to earn high school equivalency, enroll in post-secondary education, and find employment. TCH offers contextualized instruction to over 700 students annually. Classes include subjects supporting English language acquisition – reading, speaking, listening, and writing – as well as the subjects needed to earn a high school equivalency – science, social studies, mathematics, and civic engagement. Our English Language Acquisition and Adult Basic Education classes move students with the lowest levels of English and literacy into college level courses throughout the county.
This part-time contract position facilitates student learning following general guidelines set forth in the program. An instructor at this level is expected to have responsibilities for curriculum development and decisions related to the operation of the program. The class location may be at TCH or offsite at Tacoma Housing Authority’s Family Investment Center.
Interested candidates are encouraged to explore TCH’s website (www.tacomacommunityhouse.org) to learn more about the Agency and its services.
- Provide instruction and facilitate student learning
- Participate on the initial testing team; provide ongoing assessment in class throughout the quarter, including post testing; provide new student orientations
- Case manage assigned students at a beginning level, including quarterly conferences
- Complete case notes for students in classes
- Contribute to decisions about resources and materials
- Maintain accurate records in accordance with program requirements, e.g. attendance, quarterly achievement goals, timesheets, etc. and submit on a timely basis
- Contribute to the production of required reports; ensure reliable data
- Enforce program and agency rules and policies in a fair manner
- Contribute to curriculum and assessment development
- Teach special courses and conduct special projects as required
- Other duties as assigned
Successful candidates must demonstrate the following qualities:
- B.A. degree in related field OR extensive experience teaching adults
- Basic skills in computer literacy
- Google Docs/Chromebooks experience a plus
- CASAS certified
- Over 5 years teaching experience at a variety of levels
- 1 year curriculum development experience
- 1 year teacher training or mentoring experience
- 1 or more workshops in Learning Disabilities
Email your cover letter, resume, and five (5) professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position is open until filled.
Tacoma Community House is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Tacoma Community House is committed to increasing the diversity of its staff and program participants and to strengthening sensitivity throughout the Agency. Tacoma Community House is an equal opportunity employer and service provider and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, age, religion, creed, disability, national origin, political or union affiliation, marital status, sexual orientation, Vietnam era veteran status, or other non bona-fide job requirements. Applicants in need of accommodations are encouraged to call (253) 383-3951.
About Tacoma Community House: Tacoma Community House is a 108-year-old Human Services agency, begun as a Settlement House to serve immigrants. Today, we serve immigrants, refugees and low-income youth and adults, helping them to become self-sufficient.
Why work at Tacoma Community House? We are an agency with a long history of quality services which attracts staff with expertise and commitment to our mission. We have won many awards over the years for our client services and for the quality of our workplace.
Mission: Tacoma Community House creates opportunities for immigrants and other community members in the Puget Sound region through comprehensive services focused on self-sufficiency, inclusion and advocacy.
Vision: We are a pathway to change, leading to generations of self-sufficient people and a region welcoming of immigrants and refugees.