- This event has passed.
Info Session – English Language Acquisition (ELA) Classes
September 16, 2019 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Our English Language Acquisition (ELA) classes help adults improve their basic English listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills. We hold classes year-round, Monday through Thursday, at various times to accommodate students’ schedules.
Why Learn English?
Navigating life in the United States is challenging for people who do not speak English. By learning the language in a supportive, low-risk environment, students foster the confidence to use English in everyday situations—from answering the phone to filling out forms at the doctor’s office. People who speak English also have a significantly easier time finding work and enrolling in educational/technical/job training programs.
Cost, Eligibility & Class Schedule
- $25 per quarter
- Open to adults 18 and older
- 2019 quarters
- Winter Quarter: January 7th, 2019 – March 21st, 2019
- Spring Quarter: April 8th, 2019 – June 20th, 2019
- Summer Quarter: July 8th, 2019 – September 12th, 2019
- Fall Quarter: October 7th, 2019 – December 12, 2019
- Classes run Monday through Thursday at various times
- Morning (9am-12pm)
- Afternoon (1-3pm)
- Evening (6-8pm)
How to Enroll
Those interested in English classes MUST attend an information session at Tacoma Community House, located at 1314 S. L Street, Tacoma, WA. Information sessions provide prospective students an opportunity to learn more about the program, complete intake paperwork, and schedule a preliminary testing appointment.
- Bring to orientation (what you have):
- Picture ID
- Social Security Card
- Pay Stub or DSHS Award Letter
- Green Card
Charlene McKenzie, ELA/BEdA Administrative Assistant