Sound Outreach is hiring a full-time Financial Counselor to provide compassionate guidance and beneficial tools for individuals and communities to move from financial insecurity to financial wellness and prosperity. Tacoma Community House has partnered with Sound Outreach to bring the Financial Counselor to TCH on a regular basis to assist our immigrant and refugee clients navigate complex financial processes and institutions. Please direct all questions and application materials to Sound Outreach.
- Russian/Ukrainian, Arabic, Spanish, Vietnamese, and/or Cambodian language skills strongly preferred. This position will see many clients with low English proficiency.
Be part of a unique strategy to fight poverty by combining social services and financial services, working to deliver Sound Outreach’s products and services to economically vulnerable households in Tacoma. Sound Outreach’s goal is to build household economic strength in Pierce County using financial products, income supports, and benefits access that will put an end to predatory alternative financing practices and build sustainable wealth.
As part of the professional staff of Sound Outreach, the Financial Counselor operates under the general supervision of the Program Manager, within the policies established by the articles of incorporation, the board-approved policy and procedures manual, bylaws, resolutions, fund agreements and guidelines duly adopted, and as consistent with applicable federal, state and local laws.
The Financial Counselor will compassionately guide people through complex resources available to help individuals build assets, access services and benefits, and grow in financial capability. The person in this position may also be required to organize volunteers to assist with outreach activities and deliver workshops or classes to larger groups of interested learners.
Requirements & Responsibilities
- Bachelor’s degree in appropriate field and/or two (2) years in similar human services position
- Finance/banking background preferred
- Two (2) years case management/human services experience OR two (2) years bank officer or loan officer experience (preferred)
- Strong communications skills: good grammar, strong verbal and written skills required
- Ability to work independently as well as be a collaborative team member
- Self-motivated and well organized
- Ability to patiently and compassionately work with diverse clientele who are sometimes in crisis
- Ability to maintain client records and complete required reports
- Good computer skills and strong willingness/ability to learn and become certified in multiple programs
- Assists clients with the following services:
- Financial coaching
- Financial capabilities classes
- Connecting clients to financial products
- Treat clients with unconditional positive regard in all situations and provide guidance within multiple human service disciplines
- Information and referral for clients to other community resources
- Cultivation of strong relationships with community resources
- Russian/Ukrainian, Arabic, Spanish, Vietnamese, and/or Cambodian language skills strongly preferred – this position will see many clients with low English proficiency
- Valid drivers’ license and auto insurance
- Maintained automobile
- Aptitude for finance and ability to understand how to coach for high impact on financial lives of program participants
- Enthusiastic, friendly, outgoing, and extroverted
- A people person with high emotional intelligence
- Calm, grounded and empathetic
- Organized, detail-oriented, with strong time management skills
- Self-starter, independent-minded
- Passionate about providing excellent services
While performing the functions of the job, the Financial Counselor will work in an office setting at a desk, with out-of-office duties including outreach at health fairs, neighborhood events, agency partners, community centers, special presentations and community meetings. The Financial Counselor will work a schedule totaling 40 hours per work week, unless Part-Time is specified, and on occasion will be required to attend events related to the position after work hours and on weekends. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Sound Outreach’s commitment to diversity includes the recognition that their mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of individuals of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our community’s character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, genders, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Salary & Benefits
- $20-$22/hour depending on experience
- Full-Time employees receive Health, Dental, Retirement, and PTO
Send resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com
- The successful applicant must meet the requirements of Sound Outreach’s background screening process
- Applications will be accepted via email only
- Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis
- Position open until filled