Job Opening: Transitions Specialist
Tacoma, WA – Reports to Education Services Manager
This professional position is responsible for assisting Tacoma Community House English Language Acquisition (ELA) and Basic Education for Adults (BEdA) students transition to employment and/or post-secondary education. The position is responsible for case management of students, monitoring student progress, assisting students with career planning and research, and making connections with local colleges and employers.
- Case manage students to assist them in removing barriers and move towards their education goals.
- Transition students to post-secondary institutions and/or employment.
- Assist students and participants in career and post-secondary exploration.
- Prepare and maintain files and data required for reporting to funders; meet contracted outcomes for service delivery.
- Work with the Education and Employment Departments to coordinate employer panels, high demand industry focused events, and job fairs.
- Plan and coordinate guest speakers from local colleges and field trips to local colleges.
- Develop and facilitate workshops that prepare student for post-secondary and employment success.
- Connect students to college admissions processes, including financial aid, academic advising, and academic and student support services.
- Assist in developing and implementing programs to enhance services with community partners.
- Attend partner meetings.
- Follow program guidelines to ensure continued enrollment and success in the program.
- Perform/facilitate information sessions, intakes, enrollments, and orientations.
- Coordinate and administer all CASAS testing of ABE students;
- Prepare and provide information needed for ABE reporting and billing including WABERS;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree desired
- Possess excellent organizational, decision-making, customer service, and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work with community partners
- Ability to work in team situations and independently with little supervision
- Ability to work under deadlines
- Ability to communicate well in written and oral form
- Knowledge of Pierce County resources for low income populations
- Outgoing, positive, and enthusiastic personality
- At least three years documented experience 1) working with persons from diverse educational, economic, and cultural backgrounds; 2) working in an education, training, or employment program.
- At least two years’ experience 1) accurately in-putting and using database information; 2) executing program guidelines; and 3) establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with community partners.
Compensation: $2994 – $3221/month
Send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tacoma Community House is committed to increasing the diversity of its staff and program participants and to strengthening sensitivity throughout the agency. Tacoma Community House is an equal opportunity employer and service provider and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, age, religion, creed, disability, national origin, political or union affiliation, marital status, sexual orientation, Vietnam era veteran status, or other non bona-fide job requirements. Applicants in need of accommodations are encouraged to call (253) 383-3951.
Tacoma Community House is an equal opportunity employer.