Hiring: Read2Me Program Specialist – AmeriCorps
Read2Me Program Specialist – AmeriCorps
Tacoma, WA – Reports to Volunteer Services Manager
Job description: This AmeriCorps member will assist in the Read2Me Program at four local elementary schools. Read2Me is a one-on-one adult/student reading program for struggling first, second, and third grade readers. The term of service is September 1, 2017–July 15, 2018. The position is contingent on funding.
- Recruit new volunteers
- Lead the student assessment process
- Produce a monthly newsletter for tutors
- Facilitate quarterly workshops
- Track attendance for both students and volunteer tutors
- Contact tutors with program information
- Research best practices for tutoring strategies and tutor training
- Tutor one student at each of the four schools
- B.A. degree in Education or relevant field
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to serve with and be sensitive to adults and youth of varying backgrounds, abilities, and cultures
- Detail-oriented with good organizational skills
- Commitment to teamwork and collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Strong PC skills with knowledge of Word and Excel
- Knowledge of volunteer management highly desired
- Personal transportation necessary
- Prefer 1 year experience working with children
Submit a cover letter and current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Attn: Volunteer Services Manager.” Priority consideration given to applications received before June 15, 2017. Open until filled.
Tacoma Community House is committed to increasing the diversity of its staff and program participants and to strengthening sensitivity throughout the agency. Tacoma Community House is an equal opportunity employer and service provider and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, age, religion, creed, disability, national origin, political or union affiliation, marital status, sexual orientation, Vietnam era veteran status, or other non bona-fide job requirements. Applicants in need of accommodations are encouraged to call (253) 383-3951.
Tacoma Community House is an equal opportunity employer.