Hiring: Instructional Coordinator
Tacoma, WA | $18.93-$21.55 per hour | Priority Deadline: January 4, 2018
Tacoma Community House is seeking an Instructional Coordinator to develop, update and implement curriculum for adult English Language Acquisition and Basic Education for Adults classes at Tacoma Community House. This position will also assist the Education Services Manager in coordinating the day-to-day operations of the BEdA and ELA programs.
The Education Department serves approximately 550 English language learners and 175 adult basic education students annually. TCH provides a pathway for students to improve their basic skills so that they can enroll in post-secondary education, enter the workforce, and earn their high school equivalency.
Interested candidates are encouraged to explore TCH’s web site www.tacomacommunityhouse.org to learn more about the agency and its services.
- Develop, update, and implement curriculum for ELA levels 1-6 and ABE levels 1-6
- Develop curriculum and instruct workshops for participants and agency staff
- Contribute to planning and implementation of training activities for new instructors
- Assist in developing and implementing programs with community partners
- Contribute to decisions about educational resources and materials for the department
- Provide instruction, facilitate student learning, and substitute as needed
- Participate on the initial testing team; provide on-going assessment in class throughout the quarter, including post testing
- Administer program and agency policies and procedures in a fair manner
- Provide support to instructors, admin, and case management staff in the event of student behavior issues, teacher-student conflicts, and/or attendance issues
- Provide quality assurance reviews and assessment; including students files, case notes, and agency/ funder databases
- Other duties as assigned
Experience & Qualifications:
- Preferred Qualifications
- A. or M.S. degree in related field OR B.A. and experience developing curriculum and teaching adults (5 years or more)
- Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for adults, and the measurement of training effects
- Proficient in computer literacy and using technology in instruction
- Knowledge of College and Career Readiness Standards
- Knowledge of latest adult teaching methods, assessment theory, and instructional materials
- Knowledge of other cultures, including refugee cultures
- Knowledge of working with students with learning disabilities
- Preferred Experience
- 3 years teaching experience at a variety of levels
- 1-year curriculum development experience
- 1-year teacher training or mentoring
Compensation: $18.93-21.55/hour. The salary is competitive for this position and will depend on qualifications. TCH has a generous benefit package including health, dental, life insurance, and retirement. (See below for more details)
Email your cover letter, resume, and three professional references to email@example.com
Priority consideration will be given to those who apply by January 4, 2018.
Tacoma Community House is an equal opportunity employer. Tacoma Community House is committed to increasing the diversity of its staff and program participants and to strengthening sensitivity throughout the agency. Tacoma Community House is an equal opportunity employer and service provider and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, age, religion, creed, disability, national origin, political or union affiliation, marital status, sexual orientation, Vietnam era veteran status, or other non bona-fide job requirements. Applicants in need of accommodations are encouraged to call (253) 383-3951.
About Tacoma Community House:
Tacoma Community House is a 108-year-old Human Services agency, begun as a Settlement House to serve immigrants. Today we serve immigrants, refugees and low income adults, helping them to become self-sufficient.
Mission: Tacoma Community House creates opportunities for immigrants and other community members in the Puget Sound region through comprehensive services focused on self-sufficiency, inclusion and advocacy.
Vision: We are a pathway to change, leading to generations of self-sufficient people and a region welcoming of immigrants and refugees.
Why work at Tacoma Community House?
We are an agency with a long history of quality services which attracts staff with expertise and commitment to our mission. We have won many awards over the years for our services and for the quality of our workplace.
Tacoma Community House offers:
- Compensation: Your paycheck is just part of your total compensation package. Employees also have access to an outstanding employee benefits package worth about 25% of your salary.
- Insurance: A comprehensive health care benefits package with medical, dental and basic life insurance.
- Retirement: We offer participation in a pension plan with generous support by the agency.
- Vacation and leave: Leave benefits include 12 days of vacation per year in the first year; 10 paid holidays; plus additional paid time off in summer and around Christmas; and 12 days of paid sick leave per year.
- Employee assistance: Employees may seek confidential professional help with personal or work-related problems through the Employee Assistance Program at no charge.