Reading is FUNdamental
Read2Me is a successful tutoring program helping developing young readers reach reading benchmarks by the end of the third grade. This unique program works within the schools in Read2Me designated classrooms. Volunteers are paired with a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd grader who is below grade level reading, for 45 minutes a week during the school year. Trained volunteers use a variety of tools to help emerging readers learn their sight words, comprehension, identify new words, gain confidence, and more!
Interested tutors must attend a Read2Me Orientation Session at Tacoma Community House:
- New Tutors: September 24th from 3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. & September 27th from 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Returning Tutors: September 25th from 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. & September 27th from 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Learn how you can be involved with Read2Me, Tacoma's longest-running volunteer tutoring program focused on grade-level reading by calling 253-383-3951.
Download the flyer.
The Dream of Becoming a Citizen
Our Immigration Department is expanding services to aspiring citizens in our local community thanks to a generous grant from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The funding we received, totaling $250,000, will help support our citizenship preparation services for the next two years. With the USCIS funding, TCH will increase citizenship classes and locations in partnership with the Pierce County Library System.
To enroll in citizenship classes, students must attend an information session. Information sessions are scheduled for:
- Wednesday, September 24 at 5:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 1 at 5:30 p.m.
- Friday, October 3 at 10:00 a.m.
- Friday, October 10 at 10:00 a.m.
Download the flyer
| || || |